Tuesday, December 02, 2008

A Simple Life

This morning as I rode the train to work....I looked out at the river near Quantico and the sun was just rising. It was so beautiful and peaceful in its appearance. the water seemed to be so calm and shimmery. A calm washed over me and I suddenly realized the lady sitting next to me felt it at the same time. She said in her broken English, "it is such a beautiful day and we should all be so thankful". It's the little things that should be making us happy...the beautiful scenes of nature, helping others and the smile of a stranger.

I read my daughter's blog with such sadness and I realized she feels the same about the holidays as I do. We rush, we buy, we invite friends over to an already bulging get together, all the while trying to become super woman or man. We bring so much unnecessary stress into our lives! We have totally forgotten what the reason is for the season. Now don't get me wrong...I love to give and receive as much as the next person. But we all have gone overboard. When I read about the shooting and trampling of people on this Black Friday....my heart just broke. How important is it to save a few dollars at the cost of being hurt or killed.

I am so grateful that I have a job, a nice home, and good friends and family. My wish in the next few years is to celebrate the reason for the holidays and enjoy each other. I can forgo the gifts and treats if it means hardship on anyone. I want the peace and joy I felt as a youngster. My dad insisted on a nice family meal where we all sat at the table and enjoyed each others company. Okay...as a kid it irritated me when I wanted to play with my new things (never got many) but I do have fond memories of playing with my brothers.

Last night when I got off from the train and was in my car a gentleman came up to my car and asked could I give him a jump start. His car battery has died and he needed a jump start. I was more than happy to. I drove to his car in the lot and I helped jump his car. He was glad I could help him and his handshake reflected so. It felt very good to be able to do something so small and yet so big for him. We need to carry our good deeds throughout the year. I plan to...how about you?

I hope each and everyone had a great Thanksgiving and will have a wonderful Christmas and above all remember the reason for the season and keep the season all 365 days. God Bless each and everyone!

No comments: